March 31, 2011 6:51 PM
Story by Angel McCurdy from

NICEVILLE — One woman’s tragedy has evolved into efforts to educate students and help keep her neighborhood safe and fire free.

Gail Minger, through the Michael A. Minger Foundation, has been working diligently since her son died in an arson fire in a dormitory at Murray State University in Kentucky nearly 13 years ago.

Now Minger is teaming up with the East Niceville Fire District to install smoke detectors with grant money from the Department of Homeland Security.

Read a fact sheet on smoke detectors.

She said their mission is to assist those in need and educate high school seniors and college students on the importance of fire safety.

Read the full article!