BOSTON — When you send your child off to college, there’s a mix of emotions. But one thing that may not come to mind is fire safety. For one woman who lost her son in an on-campus fire, educating students about how to prevent fires or, if necessary, escape one, is a matter of life and death.

In 1998, Michael Minger was beginning his sophomore year at Murray State University in Kentucky.

“In his dorm, there was an arson fire. It was the second one in five days and he did not escape the second time. He was killed in the fire,” said Gail Minger, Michael Minger’s mother.

The loss of her son sent Minger on a path she never dreamed of traveling. She formed a foundation in Michael Minger’s name to educate college students about fire safety.

Read more at The Boston Channel